Teya's Education Journey

Documentation of my education journey

Blog 5 – “Riptide” by Vance Joy

For my updated musical growth plan, I’ve added Vance Joy’s “Riptide” to my repertoire of songs that I want to learn for the end of the semester. This stemmed from me practicing with my fellow teacher candidates who were learning to play Riptide on the ukulele. Hearing them play made me want to play with them, and accompany them on the guitar. It started out just for fun, but I really enjoyed it and decided to add it to my list. There is only four chords that are in the song; Am, G, C, and Fmaj7. It is tuned regularly (E A D G B E) and it’s in the key of Am. There are no barre chords in this song, unlike Party Favor and Only One, which are the other songs that I’m still working on. This makes this song easier and quite frankly, more enjoyable to play. I get a lot of joy from playing this song, even though it’s still in the early stages of development. I’ve been trying to also develop my own strumming pattern for it, because the ones that were recommended don’t work for me. I also don’t know why, but this song is really easy for me to sing. I’ve never really known what keys are easiest for me to sing, or which ones suit my voice, but Riptide sounds particularly good in my opinion, compared to my other songs. I will follow up with an update about this song, my progress, and if I’ve found a strumming pattern that works for me!