Teya's Education Journey

Documentation of my education journey

Reflection – Topic 2 Webinar

Webinar & Webinar Reflection

I enjoyed this webinar as it was an in-depth look into the different concerns we need to take into account in order to ensure equitable access to open & distributed online learning. Taking access to different hardware and software for granted disregards those who may not have the resources necessary to engage in online learning.  There’s also a big difference between “delivering” learning to learners and engaging in meaning learning, and that has to be considered. This webinar led me to Tony Bates’ book “Teaching in a Digital Age” where I got to peak into some different chapters. I will investigate further now that I have access to this resource.

Figure 6.1 An example of a learning environment

Figure from Chapter 6

Connections to Course Topics:

Explore and engage with current literature on the distributed and open education movement – This webinar related Tony Bate’s article about learning theories & online learning, as well as his more recent article about what Covid has taught us about the the limitations of online learning. Both articles offer information about the past, current, and future of learning theories and online learning.

Critically reflect on and articulate concepts around modality, pedagogy, and access, including distributed and open learning theory, online and open learning history, privacy laws, social learning communities, open research, and open data. – Accessibility was a prominent discussion, and posed questions about how do we start and continue to facilitate growth of an online educational ecosystem that involves everyone. It made me delve deeper into what accessibility means, and how to we go about promoting it.

Conduct research into and critically reflect upon emerging and future educational technologies – Again, back to the aforementioned articles and book by Tony Bates, I have been able to research further into what it means to teach on a digital platform.

Universal Design for Learning (UDL)- Thinking about UDL principles in regards to inclusivity in an open and distributed online learning environment. These principles must me honoured in a different way that in a traditional brick-and-mortar setting.